*Applications are closed for the 2022 Women in Politics Program
About the Women in Politics Program:
The brainchild of Senior Consultants Carys Baker and Mackenzie Taylor – both former political staffers – the Women in Politics Program was designed to promote the advancement of young women in politics. The forum encourages discussion to critically assess and reflect upon the circumstances that have shaped the current state of gender politics. Women in Politics hosts in-person discussions and events while promoting online discussions through our Women in Politics blog.
About the Internship:
Cumberland Strategies is seeking its second annual WIP Intern to support our Toronto practice and presence. In this role, you will be responsible for working with our team of senior consultants and principals to support the success of our clients with municipal, provincial, and federal government relations.
Those with an interest in getting involved in politics or those with political experience are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be Toronto-based.
Successful applicants will be able to demonstrate strong organizational skills, a demonstrated interest in politics, and above all be a strong communicator and team player.
In addition to the tasks outlined below, you will have the opportunity to:
- Expand your network
- Meet and learn from senior political staff at Queen’s Park
- Meet women from across the country who are leaders in public affairs, communications, and public service
- Have an important role in helping us grow the program through social media and events
Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with our principals and consultants on developing and providing Government Relations strategies and political analyses for clients
- Support our principals and consultants by working on, through research and writing, briefing notes for clients and assist in drafting letters to the government, committee presentations and new business pitches
- Support the Marketing Manager with virtual/in-person events
- Support the Marketing Manager with social media around Women in Politics initiatives
- Monitor federal and provincial government announcements and press conferences, as well as news releases that are of interest to clients
- Participate in our weekly Women in Politics meetings and provide strategic advice on how to improve and grow the program
- Track municipal policy announcements and legislation in Toronto
- Provide administrative support, including taking meeting minutes